Home Shop My Instagram TPT STORE tpt Facebook Instagram Pinterest Image Map

August 16, 2017

Sanity-Saving Word Work Organization and Management Pack


The part two years have been crazy, to say the least. I changed school districts then changed grade levels. Not only am I learning new curriculum, but I'm helping write new science curriculum for my district, moving classrooms, and starting a new first grade Teachers Pay Teachers store. Since my change to first, I've spend a lot of time thinking about how I can better manage my students during Daily 5 time while designing instruction to meet the WIDE variety of levels in my class and begin to shift responsibility in my classroom to my students so they become independent learners. Not an easy task. 

Because Word Work is such a popular Daily 5 choice, I wanted to make their time there as meaningful as possible. Last year (my first year using Daily 5) I found that my students would often go to certain 'favorite' games that didn't necessarily meet their individual learning goals. I couldn't find a solution that didn't involve me individually picking games for my students each day, but I didn't love that idea. I wanted to encourage students to make better choices regarding their learning and I honestly didn't have the time to pick new activities for each student each day! I've spent this summer coming up with ideas to manage this that didn't require too much maintenance. So after about a million ideas, here's what I came up with. I hope you enjoy!




Let's start with what is included in the pack, then I'll explain how I use it.... 

Above is my Word Work area in my classroom. As you can see I use color-coded labels on bins (you can purchase them on Amazon HERE). I keep most of the same bins out all year. You can also see picture frames on top of my shelf. I put 4x6 anchor charts (also color-coded) in the frames

Here is a close-up...
(I use plastic frames from Ikea)


Then I give each student a Focus Card....



Directions:  

Print out a focus card for each student and laminate. My students keep these in their book bins (or bag of books). When I do formal assessments or confer, students know to bring this card with them. I place a star sticker on about 3-4 'keep practicing' areas. This way, my students know these are the buckets they can choose from during Word Work time. If I feel they mastered that specific area I place a sticker on 'mastered'. You wouldn't believe how motivated my students are to earn their stickers! 

Here Why I Love This: 

 1. My students are still making choices regarding their learning. I decide what they need to learn, they decide HOW they learn it. Can you say highly effective??? 
 2. It's super easy to pick areas to practice and you DO NOT need to change them too often. Many times, my student spend weeks practicing certain skills. That's okay. 
 3. When a supervisor comes into your classroom and asks a 6-year-old what they're learning, they may just be able to tell them! We've all been there. A supervisor comes in with their laptop and walks over to 'that kid' and asks him/her what they are learning and of course they answer with some off-topic response. Now, students have clear goals with visuals. 


Organizing the Buckets

Don't over-think this step, but here was my thinking...


Vowel Sounds: I put long vowel and vowel combinations in this category. 

CVC Words - and CVC word activity or short vowel activity

CVCe Words - Any activity with the CVCe combination

Digraphs - I put all digraph & consonant blends in here

Sight Words - obviously... :)

Word Families :) 



* These are B&W images printed on color paper. 



I hope you enjoy this pack (available for purchase in my TPT store)


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...